Location: Washington, D.C.
Good governance is increasingly recognized as a key feature in achieving sustainable development objectives. As such, many of i-APS clients are looking for guidance in developing, implementing, and evaluating good governance programs. According to the
United Nations, depending on the context and the overriding objective sought, good governance can encompass: full respect of human rights, the rule of law, effective participation, multi-actor partnerships,
political pluralism, transparent and accountable processes and institutions, an efficient and effective public sector, legitimacy, access to knowledge, information and education, political empowerment
of people, equity, sustainability, and attitudes and values that foster responsibility, solidarity and tolerance. At its essence, good governance demands accountability, transparency, following the
rule of law, responsiveness, equity and inclusivity, effectiveness and efficiency, and a participatory approach.
The successful candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Provide advice and practical support to clients on good governance policies, strategies, and measures
- Work closely with clients to train and enhance their knowledge and skills in good governance to ensure that they meet the highest quality standards
- Provide advice to clients on the conceptualization, development and implementation of good governance strategies, policies, and legislation
- Provide advice on best practices as relates to development of good governance initiatives at various organizational levels
- Support implementation of good governance strategies, initiatives and measures through monitoring implementation of recommendations and proposals through frequent consultations with clients
- Provide advice to clients on the development and implementation of sustainable ethical policies and strategies
- Provide formal training to clients and partner groups on good governance
- Perform evaluations of client programs focused on the promotion of good governance
- Keep abreast with the developments of best practices and other relevant issues in the field of good governance in order to provide updated and accurate advice to clients
Required Skills and Experience:
- Minimum Master’s degree in economics, political science, public administration, regional development/planning, or other social science
- Minimum 10 years of international experience in public sector development, including in the areas of democratic governance, regional development, gender equality, anti-corruption and social services
- At least 5 years of experience in conducting evaluations of government and international aid organizations, preferably with direct experience with civil service capacity building
- Experience and/or lives in the Middle Eastern North Africa Region, East, West or Central Africa, and/or Haiti.