International Advisory, Products and Systems (i-APS) has been awarded a contract by Plan International USA to perform real-real time verification for a 17-month project supporting the neighborhood rebuilding efforts of residents of Area 4 (Barangays 62 and 62-A) in Tacloban City titled “Building Back Better in Tacloban: Post Haiyan Community Rehabilitation” Project that was designed in response to the devastation by Super Typhoon Haiyan in November 2013.
The project sought to help Area 4 to “build back better” through improved shelter and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) facilities complemented by integrated Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and Protection mechanisms.
To distill and document positive learnings and lessons learned from the project and draw out both good practices and areas for improvement. The study will cover the following themes:
- Follow-on activities in Area 4 and other areas of Tacloban City.
- Urban Shelter & Settlements (S&S) program and relationship between “squatters” (non-tenured residents), landowners/landlords, City Hall, and neighborhood residents.
- Reasons for over-fulfillment of assistance.
- Shelter & Settlements assistance dimensions.
- Lessons and Good Practices for Shelter and Settlements S&S in a space-constrained urban area.
- Donation 30 total rebuilds to Villa Plan.
- Beneficiary response to 2-story T-shelters.
- Collaboration with Eastern Visayas State University (EVSU) on DRR-Settlements infrastructure mitigation work.
- Performance of mitigation work in recent storms.
- Integrating hardware (Shelter + WASH improvements) with software (Protection and DRR programming).
- Beneficiary satisfaction/complaints/suggestions for improvement, related to (a) Plan engagement, interaction with target neighborhoods; and (b) project improvements to neighborhood.
- The organizational experience of Plan.
To learn more about this program please contact Agron Ferati, i-APS Executive Director at >firstname.lastname@example.org or Frank Manfredi Senior Director, Resilience Practice Area - Plan International USA at Frank.Manfredi@planusa.org